23 March 2011

the magic of youtube

Remembering:













Thanks Miss for triggering this little trip down memory lane and may i add, whose Dad listens to so much Dr. Hook that it becomes a defining piece of their child's childhood? Oh that's right, mine.


In all seriousness though,  I don't remember ever not listening to music with my dad. His tastes were varied (obviously - I mean look at that sampling up there) and his opinions were very strong about what he liked and what he didn't but it made for a lovely soundtrack to grow up to.


Dad is definitely the reason (on my part) that the iPod is rarely turned off around here - I want my kids to grow up the same way. Appreciating varied and random, sometimes obscure music and judging from the ease with which they transition from David Gray to Backyardigans to country radio to Katy Perry, I think we're doing a pretty good job following in Beegs' footsteps.


Here's what's on the docket today in our house.





Leah, Adah and Dan (and everyone else for that matter!) - What songs do you remember growing up to? And who are you listening to now?

3 comments:

  1. I love this post Sarah. Even though it is quite frustrating sometimes listening to Birger all day either whistle, or sing songs, I can definitely say there is a soft spot for a few select songs and artists.

    Anything by Dr. Hook
    Ray Stevens- There Coming to take me Away
    Tom T Hall- The Hitch-Hiker
    Most stuff from Roger Miller.

    As for right now, my selection doesn't range very far most of the time, as most people know, but the appreciation for all types of music I have for music can be credited to Beegs, and growing up in the nutty Rasmussen house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. might I add that I always felt a tad jealous that you had such an eclectic taste in music...even growing up in small town sask, with no Internet or "scene" to broaden your horizons. How cool to give the same to your kids, made even easier by technology these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dad has been quite tolerant lately of my music, whether its him not hearing so well or just that he simply doesn't mind it all that much im not to sure, but oh do I have memories. Memories that run far and wide. He honestly has one of the biggest music repertoire locked away in his brain. It has made for a great childhood and a great appreciation for music of all kinds.

    A few staples that I'll remember many years from now are:

    Roger Miller - King of the Road ( double memory here - makes me think of that crazy mirror that dad still has in his closet with the writing on it about a room for rent - remember??)

    The Hollies - Jennifer Eccles
    Jimmie Rodgers - The Fox and The Goose
    Dr. Hook - Jungle to the Zoo ( Reminds me a lot of daniel too )

    Definitely many more but those ones came to mind!!

    My choice at the moment :

    James Vincent McMorrow - We Don't Eat
    or
    Adele - anything from her new CD
    OR
    The Civil Wars - Poison & Wine!

    love the memories i've been able to make with all you rasmussens and now steeles!

    ReplyDelete