24 March 2011

Good Earth's Toasted Seed Rolls

If you haven't had a seed roll from Good Earth you are missing out. 

But at 4 bucks a pop and over 600 calories a piece it's best to save the store bought ones as a special treat. Practicing restraint with those babies though is like having an itch you can't scratch so yesterday I made my own and am quite pleased with how they turned out. 

For your taste buds pleasure...

I have a go to Bread Recipe that I use for everyday loaves. It adapts to different types of breads well and is quite healthy so that's where I started my seed roll adventure. 

Bread Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 2 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons pure maple syrup or honey
  • 1 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2-1/4 cups warm water
  • 2-1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup (or honey)
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 5 cups unbleached all purpose flour
(I usually throw in some flax seed too but I never measure... afew tablespoons maybe?)

Directions
1. Proof the yeast in a large bowl (I use my Kitchenaid, but by hand works fine too) using first 4 ingredients. 
2. Add next 6 ingredients. Combine well.
3. Adding a half cup at a time, add the 5 remaining cups of flour. You may or may not need all 5 cups, you'll know you need to stop when the bread pulls away from the side of your bowl. 
4. I usually mix on medium-low speed for 5-10 minutes.
5. Let rise until doubled in size.
6. Punch down. 

At this point I rolled the dough out to a 1/2 inch thickness in a big rectangle. Mine was a little round so I trimmed it down with the pizza cutter. 

I, rather haphazardly, mixed some butter, applesauce, white sugar, brown sugar and cardamon into a bowl until it was a paste. I don't have any real measurements for this but those are the things I used...  (If I had to guess I'd say  I used no more than 1/4 cup of butter as a base and built up the paste from there.) 

Spread that over your rectangle of dough.

Toast any combination of seeds you like. I used poppy, sunflower, and flax seeds. Sprinkle  toasted seeds over paste. 

Roll. Cut into 1 inch thick pieces. Put in greased pan. Let rise. Cook at 350 until golden.Not the most technical recipe ever and obviously not the tutorial to use if you've never attempted bread or cinnamon buns of any kind before, but I am oh so happy with how they turned out and hope you'll try them! 

 

2 comments:

  1. These look so good Sarah, are we going to get to try these when we come at Easter???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Sarah - and nice pictures of the rolls! I can never get food photography even close to where I want it.

    ReplyDelete