23 July 2010

thrifting//the globes

Everytime I walk into a thrift store I say a little prayer under my breath that they will have a globe or two for me to bring home. I rarely get an answer. But I remain undeterred and truth be told, it makes the rush of finding one all the more sweet. I think Rob was scared by the single-minded determination with which I bee-lined for that tall beauty in the back there.  




















I've found four in the last year or so. A surprisingly low ratio when you consider how often we frequent the second hand shops, but with inspiration like this floating around out there I'm sure I'm not the only one on the hunt. 


One of my finds was gifted to my sister for Christmas. Not because I didn't want it, but because it was the only way the husband was going to let me leave the store with it and I digress. I would have rather left the store with it and have to give it away than to leave it there for some other map-loving thrifter to find. At least this way there is a chance, small though it may be, that one day it could come to live with me again. And she really loved it. Better to give than to receive, right?

1 comment:

  1. oh I love it!

    And it just rubs salt in the wound over the globe I left behind a few months ago at the thrift, because I was trying to ensure I didn't bring back too much 'stuff'.

    ReplyDelete