29 June 2011

Everything is coming up blue.

I've kept this little number filed away in my memory, knowing that someday I would have to try it.

After finding a huge bag of lace at the thrifts and with wedding season upon us, the time has come. And the results are pretty pleasing, if I do say so myself.

A simple little skirt was sewn up (out of an old white bed sheet) and then row after row after row of different laces were stitched on. This took a surprisingly long time, but was a good outlet for the evening's frustrations with a certain 65 year old housemate. Side note: Who knew a driveway could be such a contentious issue?

After all that sewing, I was definitely nervous to commit to 1. a colour and 2. the process of dying, but it looked a little too pioneer-ish as it was, so I knew I had to. When consulted, Elin thought blue would be the best color and my insides almost burst with happiness that no where in the conversation were the words 'pink' or 'purple' uttered. Bolstered by this small color victory, a dye bath was drawn and yards of lace plunged in.

Twenty minutes of nervous checks and continuous stirring later, the skirt emerged.
Success!

The kids got an afternoon project out of the deal too, because you can't let a pot of perfectly good dye go to waste without tie dyeing something, can you?
Nope. You can't.

Ephram especially, loves the results of his shirt. He thinks the circle on the front is like Tony Stark's chest piece. The kid loves his comics... 'How does the belly look?' actually came out of his mouth while I was trying to get a shot of the shirts. He's also a stickler for keeping character/costume integrity apparently.

I may have dyed a dress for Wren too.
And I may be fighting back the urge to something crazy with our duvet cover.

I can't help myself.
The kids have taken to calling me and my blue fingers Beast. And I find the added level of character believability* during our superhero fights (as well as their giggles) worth at least one more dip in the dye bath.


*maybe he gets it from me.

1 comment: