18 August 2010

the diaper sewing session

I have been procrastinating for WAY too long on this project. It sped along nicely at the beginning but my energy levels have been waning and it seems like there is always a dress or a pillow or something else that seems way more fun, way less repetitive, and overall more satisfying to use up my sewing time. 


Today though I went for it. And I almost lost my sanity. 


Two hours to sew seven inside pieces to seven outside pieces. No elastic. No cuts made. No topstitching. No aplix. Seven insides to seven outsides. Broken needles. Three to be exact. Broken thread. High tension. Low tension. Threading and rethreading. Winding and re-winding bobbins. Phone calls to my mom. Frustrated texts to the husband. 2 hours. Seven pieces. UGH.


I didn't want to quit though because I knew that if I left it as frustrated as I was I would never want to touch the project again. 


And something clicked. What took the previous two hours to complete, I rifled through in the next twenty minutes. And by the time the afternoon rolled into supper all 26 insides were pieced together with their matching outsides. The sewing session from hell turned into an incredibly productive afternoon. There is still so much to be done before they will be finished but tonight I am feeling good about it all. 


So refreshing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment