28 July 2010

lunch

How big of a faux pas is it to post a picture of half eaten food? Probably no bigger than eating in your bed... again. If it wasn't so delicious AND if I wasn't going to give you the recipe, I wouldn't subject you to viewing so you gotta give me something for that. 


I am more than slightly embarrassed that I saw this recipe featured on Oprah, and not only that, but every time I feel the urge to whip these burgers up I add to the number of hits on Oprah's website. Ack. The shame. My husband is probably shaking his head at the mere mention of her name on this blog. While I'm on a roll and my cheeks are already burning I may as well add that I actually type Oprah's Favorite Turkey Burger into the search bar on Oprah's website when I go looking for it. For real. 


Trust me though. It's delicious. You can play around with it to your heart's content and it's really unlikely that it will turn out bad. The last time I made them I left out the parsley and tobasco and used barbeque sauce instead. Sometimes I use regular onions instead of scallions. Do what you like, but DON'T leave out the chutney. Store bought really is your best bet. I tried it with a chutney from the farmer's market once and it wasn't nearly as good. Major Grey's or not, just use store bought... and don't feel like you need to puree it either. It's just one more step that slows up getting it on your plate. 


There really is no limit to what you can top this burger with either. Plain old ketchup and mustard work fine, but cucumber, avocado, cheese, tomato, lettuce, more chutney, mayo, barbeque sauce and pickles usually make their way onto ours. Try it.



Ingredients: 
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
  • 3 Granny Smith apples , peeled and diced
  • 1/8 cup canola oil
  • 4 pounds ground turkey breast
  • 2 Tbsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. black pepper
  • 2 tsp. Tabasco® chipotle pepper sauce
  • 1 lemon , juiced and grated zest
  • 1/2 bunch parsley , finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup Major Grey's Chutney , pureed
Directions:

Sauté the scallions, celery and apples in the canola oil until tender. Let cool.

Place the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add sautéed items and the remaining ingredients. Shape into eight 8-ounce burgers. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Season the turkey burgers with salt and pepper. Place on a preheated, lightly oiled grill. Grill each side for 7 minutes until meat is thoroughly cooked. Let sit for 5 minutes.


1 comment:

  1. mmmmm...suddenly my grilled ribs and veggies I had planned for supper seem rather, lazy.

    I will have to add these to the menu for next week and give them a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete