20 July 2010

A love story.

When I first saw you, I hated you.
I was sure we would never get along much less become inseparable.
I thought I was above you and your trendiness.
I thought there was no way I could be comfortable with you.


And then I got to know you. 
I was curious, I guess, so I asked Leah if she would walk me through our first encounter. 
Just to see if we could maybe, possibly be compatible. 
Our first date was strange and slightly awkward. 
I wasn't used to all the closeness that you were obviously meant for. 


I dropped you off and wasn't sure what the next step would be. 
But I couldn't get you out of my mind. 
I kept coming back to you and over time I chose you. 
You and no other. 
Every time. 


You saw me through my struggle to lose all the weight of baby #1. 
You saw me through my struggle to get pregnant with baby #2.
You saw me through my pregnancy with baby #2.
You even got bigger as I got bigger and I will always remember your sympathy.
You waited while I recovered from delivering baby #2.
I came back to you as soon as I could. 
By that time I knew I would never question my devotion to you again. 


Now I am pregnant with baby #3 and my own body feels foreign in ways it never did with the other two and our relationship has become strained. 
I think about you everyday. 
I have tried to alter those that have tried to replace you to feel more like you, but my efforts fall short. 
Things are so different now. 
I miss you. 
I can't wait to get back to you. 
I see you waiting for me and it motivates me.


You are the greatest jeans I have ever known. 
There is no boot cut, no flare, no boyfriend cut, no straight leg that holds a candle to you. 
You, skinny jeans, are my constant. 
You have survived and surpassed the dreaded 'trend' phase. 
Sure, there have been versions that have fallen by the wayside and extremes to which I will never take you, but you will ever have a place in my closet. 


I love how you never make your way under my feet. 
Your hems never wear out. 
You look great in every wash.
I can wear you with boots and flats and sneakers and flip flops. 
You never make me feel bad.


You and no other. 
Until we meet again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment