21 October 2009

cookie love

molasses used to scare me.


ginger snaps have always been my favorite but for some reason, I stayed clear of them when it came to my own kitchen. it's the molasses. For one, I could never find it in the aisles of our grocery store (syrup! not baking - who knew?... probably everyone) and secondly, I haven't really trusted the stuff since the crazy lady at church told me to give it to my baby to stop his throwing up and then ever so bluntly told me to chug the stuff too and the pounds would melt off. grr.


anyway. the cookies.


better than your grandma's. guaranteed. 


a lofty guarantee but oh so true.


test me on this. 


i dare you to prove me wrong.


tsk, tsk. so arrogant sarah.


the cookies made me do it.





the recipe:
2 C sifted unbleached, all purpose flour
1 T ground ginger
2 t baking soda
1 t ground cinnamon
½ t salt
¾ C butter
⅔ C white sugar
1 egg
¼ C molasses
1 t vanilla
⅓ cinnamon sugar


  • preheat oven to 350°
  • sift flour, ginger baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in bowl
  • beat butter until creamy
  • gradually add in sugar
  • beat in egg, molasses, and vanilla
  • sift ⅓ of the flour mixture into the butter mixture
  • gradually sift in the rest of the flour mixture until a soft dough forms
  • roll into 1" balls and roll in cinnamon sugar until ball is completely covered
  • bake for roughly 10 minutes (until cracked and slightly rounded)
you could cool them and store them in an airtight container, but you'll likely eat them all before that.




sharing optional.


No comments:

Post a Comment